Thursday, March 22, 2012

Finally!



Pasque Flowers (Pulsatilla patens) on Waterman Prairie
Photograph © Bruce A. Morrison
(click on image for a larger view)

Spring is finally here and everyone's loving it!  Its really been here for quite some time...I'd debate its been here off and on since December!  Really weird weather the country is seeing.  There's a lot to debate about it too but I'll just enjoy what we're seeing for the time being.

Got out onto the prairie for the first time this year (if you don't count our prairie remnant here).  I knew I'd be late for the Pasque Flowers because the temps had been in the 70's-80's here the past couple weeks or so.  Yes they'd been up for a time it appeared.  A majority were showing a faded/worn look but the numbers were amazing; hundreds of plants scattered through the dead grass of last summer.

(click on image for a larger view) 

I've been buried in studio work all winter so this blog has been in hibernation so-to-speak.  I had committed to another one man show this spring so had to put in heavy easel time to get new things put together for it.  The theme is still "From the Tallgrass" , where else can my inspiration be coming from??!!  If you'd like to see paintings, drawings and photography from the tallgrass prairie in the next couple weeks, consider taking in the exhibit at the Witter gallery in Storm Lake.  There'll be an Artist's Reception on Thursday April 5th from 5:30-7:00 p.m.  Otherwise the exhibit will run from April 5 through the 26th.  It'd be great to see you!

The Monarchs are coming!
Photograph © Bruce A. Morrison
(click on image for a larger view) 

I've been following some "friends" this winter and spring (as usual) and I'm just amazed at how they're ahead of schedule!  It's being attributed to this "weather thing" but apparently the Monarch migration is about 3-4 weeks ahead of schedule.  I don't think they'll get too carried away unless their host plant (Asclepias sp. - the milkweeds) can keep up with their pace northward.  Last night I checked their progress, as I do each week, and they are already in Kansas and on the southern border of Missouri.  They don't usually hit these thresholds until April 15th or so...this is kinda spooky yet exciting!  I'll try not to get too worried about killing frosts just yet...I just thank God I'm not an apple or grape farmer here right now!!!

Have a great spring out there - hope to see ya on the tallgrass!


No comments:

Post a Comment